Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Murphy's Law

Just when I thought I was about to be ahead of the game for Christmas...

I caught a freaking stomach virus.

Yes, of all things to happen the week of Christmas, yours truly has been SICK. (and i'll spare you all the terrible details) but it was bad.

This past weekend, Shane and I were small town bound to have a little fun for his birthday. 
And that we did! Shane had a blast hanging out with his friends he doesn't get to see that much. We managed to snap this picture at the ugly sweater party we went to Saturday night. Thanks to my step-mom and her love for fun Christmas sweaters, I was dressed for the part. Hah.




When we got back to Columbia Sunday morning, I was super tired so I decided to take a nap before I began my long list of chores I needed to complete to get ready for this upcoming weekend. Since work is really hectic this week, I was trying to get ahead of the game. Needless to say, four hours later I was still feeling bleh and had made a pretty nice butt imprint on my couch. Shane came home from working and we ordered takeout. I swore that after I ate, I would get my butt in gear. Thus began the longest 24 hours of my life. Within 15 minutes of eating, I felt the nausea start to set in and it only got worse throughout the night. I spent all of yesterday in the bed and Lilo and I battled over who could sleep the most. I finally started feeling myself again about midnight last night. I'm not 100% today, but i'm way better than I was so hopefully whatever I had is GONE.
Now that i'm trying to get back in the swing of things at work, i've made a list of what all I need to get done before Christmas. Since we're hosting Christmas at our house, disinfecting our place from head to toe is #1 on my list. I do NOT want anyone to catch that awful mess.

When I am fully recovered, I have quite a bit of Christmas baking left to finish. On the top of my list are these yummy monsters. Red Velvet Cake Cookies. I made a test batch on Friday to give to some of Shane's family, and they are legit the best cookies I've ever tried. If you are a fan of Red Velvet Cake and anything super moist and creamy, these are perfect. I tried them out in my new kitchenaid and they turned out perfectly. I can't wait to make a ton more for this weekend.


Ingredients:
1 box - Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 Egg
1 8oz block of cream cheese (I used the 1/3 less fat)
1 stick of butter
1 tsp of Vanilla
Powdered sugar

Sit out butter and cream cheese and let soften. Add to mixer and beat on low. Add egg, then vanilla, then 1 cup cake mix at a time. Mixture will be a little thicker and stickier. Once mixed well, put dough in refrigerator for 2-3 hours. 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into little balls and cover with powdered sugar. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Add more powdered sugar for garnish. 

Such an easy, delicious recipe and these cookies even look gorgeous on display with all of your Christmas decorations! :) Trust me, they won't stay there long.... yumm-o

No comments:

Post a Comment