Wednesday, December 7, 2011

time for a brain dump

This might win the award for most random post.... we'll see. but here goes.

1. This week, I have felt so blah. I think it's my mood. Everything is getting to me. There is a lot of negativity going on around me right now and as much as I really don't mind listening and being there for people, it really puts a damper on my happy go lucky spirit. This time of year should be a happy time and a time to be thankful for what we DO have, not resentful for what we don't have.

2. My poor hubby is sick. It started Monday morning, he woke up with a sore throat and has rapidly developed a cough and sounds terrible. I can tell he can't get comfortable at night and has trouble breathing (=snoring) so it's been keeping me up too. I feel bad for him because I can tell he doesn't feel good, but he never complains about not feeling well. He just sucks it up and goes about his day like normal. SO not me. Everyone in my path knows when i'm sick and I complain enough to make you feel like the world is ending. I'm sure Shane hopes he doesn't pass his sickness along to me...I'm really no fun when I don't feel good.

3. I'm 95% finished with Christmas shopping. I started pretty early this year and other than a few random items on my Christmas list, and anxiously awaiting some online purchases to arrive in the mail... i'm finished. I'm happy about that too. It allows me to get to enjoy the remainder of the Christmas season without getting in a bad mood fighting the last minute shoppers.

4. Speaking of online shopping, I'm not happy with the USPS right now. Like at all. I ordered a ton of little gifts and stocking stuffers from a website and they shipped it in a padded envelope a little bigger than a legal size piece of paper. Our mailman did some harry potter magic to bend and stuff the envelope in to our tiny mailbox, ruining most of the things I had ordered. When I called the post office to file a complaint, they were everything but helpful. My patience was pretty much lost once I got off the phone with them, but hopefully I made it clear that our postman can't shove packages like that in our mailbox. *here's to hoping anyways.

5. Shane and I went to Florence again this past Saturday. I was a little resentful about having to make the trip (because this was the 4th weekend in a row I was in Florence), but i'm so happy we did. We got to see a lot of family I don't get to see that often, and Shane got to meet a few of my family that he didn't get too meet at the wedding. Oh, and we got to spend the evening with my brother, sis-in-law, and the twins. Shane loved napping on the couch holding the girls, and I tried to help feed and change, and I even got to bathe them. It was freaking precious. But i'm pretty sure Shane got the easy end of the deal... hmm? hah.

6. Seeing a lot of Facebook posts about exams, finals, and papers makes me SO glad i'm not stressing about having to study my heart out every free chance I get. Something i've realized though, I miss how easy it was (well for me anyways) to talk myself out of an assignment, get an extension, higher grade, or whatever. It's not that easy with things at my job. There are no extending deadlines, etc. Hah. Maybe I should have done something more with contract negotiation? hmm. :)

7. Yesterday, I got an email from Pet's Inc here in Columbia, (a no-kill animal shelter where my roomie adopted our spoiled rotten Lilo) that their septic system is broken and they need almost $8000 to replace it. Because of this, they can't give the animals the proper treatment they need to take care of them. They can't clean the floors as well, bathe the animals, and keep the place clean to prevent diseases and bacteria from spreading. The animals are also having to sleep on the concrete because they can't put down blankets and beds to make the animals feel more at home. Last night, Shane and I talked about it and decided to make a small donation to the animal shelter. It's not much, but I know every little bit helps. Its just another reminder how blessed we have been and we should share what we can when others need help. Along with helping Pet's Inc, we picked out some charities that we hope we can make contributions to and help during the holiday season.

8. I believe i've blogged before about my "Semi-Homemade w/ Olivia" skills. I have a gift, habit for going in to the kitchen and throwing together some pretty yummy but random meals. Last night was the perfect exception, and the end result turned out to be one of the best meals i've ever cooked (said so by the hubby himself). I guess you would call it my own version of Shepard's Pie, but it was pretty dang good.
Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 bag southwestern style hashbrowns 
1/2 pack ranch seasoning
3 tbsp taco sauce
1/2 block cream cheese
Scallions
1 precooked pie crust
Shredded cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef and stir in hashbrowns. Let cook on stovetop and mix in ranch seasoning and scallions. After hashbrowns have begun to brown, mix in taco sauce and cream cheese. The consistency will be almost like lumpy mashed potatoes. Empty in to pie shell, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake on 350 for 20 minutes.


Seriously, the most random/yummiest comfort meal ever. I served with a large helping of green beans and Shane asked to take the leftovers (over half the pie) to work today. oink oink :)

9. Tomorrow marks the first day of a 9 day streak where I have something going on every night. It will be kicked off by going to the end of the CLA office Christmas party. I was "unofficially" invited since I no longer am a staff member, but I plan to drop in at the end so I can say hello to everyone and visit with my favorite coworkers ever. My actual office party is Friday night at my boss' house and should be a great time too! I love a good party anyways! :)

Ok, enough brain dumping for today. Now I have to get to the mountains of paperwork sitting on my desk. Happy Hump Day peeps!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment