Friday, May 11, 2012

Exciting News!

You may be wondering why I've been so MIA recently, but things have been crazy in my life right now...

Let's see, where to start? oh yeah,

I got a new job!!!!!

Things have happened very fast, so let me tell the whole story.....

 Almost a year ago to the exact date, I started my career journey fresh out of college working for the local CW Television affiliate here in Columbia, SC. I work in the sales department as a Sales Coordinator. This job has been an AMAZING first job. I was thrown into the world of broadcasting with no real background, but I learned very fast that I had a love for this industry. It's not necessarily what I went to school for (Sport & Entertainment Management) but a lot of the same skills apply.

The station that I work for is a lot different than most TV stations in our town. First of all, we're a very small staff of 6 full time people. Yes, SIX. And we're managed by our corporate office in St. Louis, which filed for bankruptcy 5 months after I started. If you've never worked for a company going through bankruptcy, let me tell you first hand, it's rough. Things are very tight and there's no room for mistakes, which can create for a very stressful work environment. My boss that hired me however, was a Godsend! Regardless of the days when things got rough with our station, she made it fun to come to work and motivated us to meet our quarterly budgets with ease. The first of this year though, I found out she was leaving to go to another station here in town and I was devastated. I thought that things would get tougher, but surprisingly, it turned out to be ok. With her departure, came more responsibilities and new learning experiences for me.

About a month ago, I was sought out and asked to speak at the South Carolina Broadcaster's Association Panel to students pursuing a career in this industry. I was extremely nervous, but my angle was to tell students that it IS possible to get a job right out of college and succeed in this industry regardless of the sometimes depressing job market. One of the guys sitting next to me on the panel was a Sales Manager at the local Fox affiliate here in town and must have liked what I had to say because within a week we were meeting for coffee, he told me about a job opening they had, and last week, I had a pretty decent job offer on the table.

So the beginning of this week, I did something super nerve racking, I gave my two weeks notice!

Quitting my first "real job" was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Everyone at our station and corporate office were very excited for me because they knew that this is a move up for me and I'll be going to a much larger station with more staff, better ratings, news, and a lot more opportunities for me to continue to grow :) I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little sad to say goodbye to this office and my coworkers. Despite the "tough" days, we are almost like a little family and I cried when I had to tell them I'm leaving. After all, not everyone would be tolerant of a girl fresh out of college coming in to a job 4 months away from her wedding. (I may have been a little crazy!)


My sweet coworkers threw me a shower before my wedding!

My office before I start "moving out" next week
Next Friday will officially be my last day at this station before I start my new job that following Tuesday. Stay tuned for a post later about my exciting adventure transitioning to my new job. I can't wait!


Happy Friday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to hear all about the new job. P.S. Your office is so cute and so you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you girl!!!! Good Luck! =)

    ReplyDelete